Southern Mayonnaise Biscuits
These biscuits are quite amazing, best baked in your Cast Iron skillet! They are definitely simple and easy to make with ingredients on hand!
- 2 cups sifted self rising flour
- 1/4 cup of refrigerated mayo
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 to 3/4 cup whole milk...varies (Just get the dough "right")
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Cut mayo into the flour - easiest to use your hands. I like to get a feel for the dough so I know I've got enough "fat" in it. The one thing I've learned is that you can't rely solely on measurements to make great biscuits. Feel is much more reliable in getting the dough just right.
Once the mayo is cut in, start adding the milk a little at a time. It's easier to add more, than to try and make up for adding too much... Add milk and work the dough around the bowl until all the flour leaves the sides of the bowl and the dough "feels right".
Turn the dough out onto a surface dusted with flour and gently fold it onto it's self three or four times, avoiding overworking it. Don't really have to "knead" it, just fold and pat it. You can also pat it down rather than rolling it now. Pat it to around 1/2" thick. Then cut the biscuits to the size you want. If you're doing drop biscuits you can skip patting it out flat and just start tearing off dough and forming biscuits.
Preheat oven to 500°F. Place the cut or "drop" biscuits on a greased pan. Brush the tops with melted butter and bake at 500°F until golden brown. Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter again.
Finally, sit down and enjoy one of the best biscuits you've ever put in your mouth! Best served steamin' hot with whatever you like to eat with biscuits.
You'll also love
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (900 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Jalapeno Popper Spread 4.5/5 (685 Votes)
- Snickerdoodle Bread 4.5/5 (452 Votes)
- Breakfast Pockets 4.5/5 (241 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Quick Chicken Tortilla Bake 4.4/5 (186 Votes)
- Banana Crunch Bread 4.5/5 (141 Votes)