Amish Pickled Beets
This homemade picked beets recipe is ultimately better than any beets you can buy in a store. Use on top of a salad or eat it as a side to a big hearty steak!
- 10 fresh red beets
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 75mins
Cut the leafy tops off the beet stems, leaving 2 inches of stem. In a large saucepan, place beets in enough water to cover. Add 1 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook 1 hour, or until fork-tender.
Drain beets, allow to cool slightly, then slip off the skins and cut into 1/4-inch slices; discard remaining stems. Return sliced beets to the pot and add remaining salt, the sugar, cider vinegar, and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until warmed through.
You'll also love
- Southern Mayonnaise Biscuits 3.8/5 (177 Votes)
- Albondigas (Spanish Meatball) Soup 4/5 (68 Votes)
- Blueberry Bundt Cake with Lemon... 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- Moist and Delicious Rhubarb Crumb... 4.3/5 (29 Votes)
- One Skillet Chicken with Lemon... 4.3/5 (33 Votes)
- Three-Cheese Jalapeno Poppers 4.3/5 (30 Votes)
- Pecan Crackers 4.3/5 (26 Votes)
- Pear, Beet & Gorgonzola Green Salad 4.3/5 (11 Votes)