Big, Fluffy Buttermilk Biscuits
Soft, fluffy homemade biscuits, and they're no-knead! Just lightly mix ingredients together, cut with biscuit cutter, and bake in an iron skillet. This recipe goes great smothered in a rich and hearty sausage gravy or just uses these biscuits to sop up any succulent sauce at dinner time.
- 4 cups self-rising flour (I use White Lily)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) cold salted butter, or lard or vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 to 2 cups cold buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable shortening or oil
- 2 tablespoons melted salted butter or margarine, for brushing biscuits
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 50mins
Measure the flour into a large mixing bowl, then place the bowl with the flour and the butter in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before making the biscuits.
Meanwhile, prepare a floured work surface.
Melt 2 tablespoons salted butter or margarine then set aside.
Preheat the oven to 450°F.
Place a black cast-iron skillet in the oven to preheat. (Skillet needs to be about 12-inches)
Working quickly, cut the cold butter into the flour with a pastry cutter until butter is pea-size. Working in sections of the flour mixture, add a little buttermilk at a time and mix that section just until a soft dough forms. Continue mixing in sections until all the flour mixture has been incorporated, then lightly stir the sections together.
Turn the dough out onto a floured surface; sprinkle top with flour and lightly pat into a 1-inch-thick circle. Using a 2 1/2 to 3-inches biscuit cutter, cut out 8 to 10 biscuits (leave them where they were cut.)
Carefully remove the hot skillet from the oven and add the oil or shortening. Place the biscuits in the hot skillet with sides touching.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Brush tops with melted butter and serve hot.
Instead of all butter in the biscuits, I used half stick (1/4-cup) salted butter and 1/4 cup Crisco vegetable shortening.
I used lard in the biscuits in the skillet.
You'll also love
- Yummy Honey Chicken Kabobs 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Red Wine Pot Roast 4.5/5 (39 Votes)
- Homemade Bacon Gravy 4.6/5 (22 Votes)
- Creamed Corn Casserole 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- The Pioneer Woman's Tres Leches... 4.2/5 (93 Votes)
- Pretzel Bread Bowls 4.2/5 (56 Votes)
- Melted Snowman Cookies 4.6/5 (32 Votes)
- Baked Pumpkin Donuts 4.5/5 (33 Votes)