Homemade Bacon Gravy
Gravy infused with bacon, who wouldn't love it? If you're feeling brave, crumble up bacon in the gravy when it's finished, it adds even more great flavor!
- Bacon, cut into small pieces, bacon slices OR
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)
- 3 cups milk (I use half milk and half water)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 10mins
Start with bacon of course. You can cut the bacon into small pieces, but my family doesn't like the bacon pieces in the gravy they like more of a smooth gravy instead and bacon on the side.
Put bacon into a large skillet and fry it over medium heat. Or if your like me it's so much easier to cook the bacon in the oven. I cook mine at 350°F on a foil lined baking sheet. Turn bacon once or twice as the bacon cooks it will release it's fat.
When the bacon is done remove and drain on paper towels. Pour about 1/4 cup of the bacon grease from the baking sheet into a skillet. Heat the reserved bacon grease in skillet and stir in the flour. Continue stirring until the flour absorbs all of the fat.
Add the salt and black pepper.Start out with the smaller amount of pepper and add more later if desired. Slowly stir in the milk a little at a time. Use a whisk or a fork to prevent lumps. Continue adding milk and whisking or stirring at the same time until the milk is added to the gravy. Let the mixture come to a boil.
Allow it to boil gently for about 5 minutes. It will thicken nicely. Taste the gravy and see if you need to add any additional salt and pepper. Serve over toast or biscuits. My family prefers biscuit.
You'll also love
- Grilled Homemade Bacon Mustard... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Creamed Corn Casserole 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Cherry-Orange pull apart breakfast... 4.7/5 (19 Votes)
- Pressure Cooker Beef Stew 4/5 (98 Votes)
- Pressure-Cooker Kiss-the-Cook Baby... 4.3/5 (58 Votes)
- Baked Bacon 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- BLT Chicken Salad Sandwiches 4.7/5 (24 Votes)
- Frozen Apple Pie Filling 3.8/5 (173 Votes)