Quinoa & Vegetable Stew
Popular in regions of South America, authentic quinoa stews require ingredients you may not find in your local grocery store. This version is kept as authentic as possible with readily available ingredients creating the same real deal flavors!
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 pound red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup prewashed white quinoa
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 2 tomatoes, cored and chopped coarse
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces queso fresco, or feta cheese, crumbled (2 cups)
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, minced
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and bell pepper and cook until softened, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in garlic, paprika, coriander, and cumin and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in broth and potatoes and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
Stir in quinoa and simmer for 8 minutes. Stir in corn and simmer until potatoes and quinoa are just tender, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes and peas and let heat through, about 2 minutes.
Off heat, season with salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle individual portions with queso fresco, avocado, and cilantro before serving.
We like the convenience of pre-washed quinoa. If you buy unwashed quinoa (or if you are unsure whether it’s washed), be sure to rinse it before cooking to remove its bitter protective coating. This stew tends to thicken as it sits; add additional warm vegetable broth as needed before serving to loosen the texture. Do not omit the garnishes; they are important to the flavor of the stew.
You'll also love
- Famous Homemade Cheese Straws 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Scalloped Corn & Broccoli 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Instant Pot Chicken & Noodles 4.6/5 (7 Votes)
- Triple Berry Cheesecake Cobbler 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Chicken Jalapeno Popper Soup 4.7/5 (6 Votes)
- Healthy & Flavorful Mushroom... 4.6/5 (12 Votes)
- Crock Pot Minestrone Soup 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Thai Pumpkin Soup 4.6/5 (10 Votes)