Apple Latkes are a sweet alternative to your typical Hanukkah latkes and they make a scrumptious addition to any festive banquet table. These apple latkes are laced with cinnamon and topped with powdered sugar and more cinnamon for a sugary treat that is sure to be a hit at your next dinner party or gathering.
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup plain yogurt, plus 1/3 cup low-fat milk or 2/3 cup natural plain yogurt
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 apples, about 1/2-pound, about 1 cup grated apples
- vegetable oil, for frying
- maple syrup or confectioners’ sugar and ground cinnamon for serving
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 35mins
Beat the egg with the yogurt and milk (or just the yogurt, if you’re using the plain normal variety) and set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and sugar in a bowl. Peel, quarter and core the apples, then grate them; a food processor works well for this, but a coarse grater would work as well.
Pour the yogurt mixture into the flour bowl, add in the grated apples and fold it together.
Pour enough oil to come to about ¼-inch up in a skillet and put on the stove to heat. Dollop spoonfuls of the apple batter into the sizzling oil; a rubber spatula will help you scrape the batter off the spoon and press down on the latkes in the pan. Fry for 1 or 2 minutes, until the latkes are golden brown on the undersides; you can see from the top as they start firming up underneath. Flip them with 2 metal spatulas and fry for another minute on the cooked side.
Remove to a tray lined with paper towels to blot the excess oil and continue cooking until you’ve used up all the batter. Top with maple syrup.
You'll also love
- Brown Sugar Bacon Wrapped Smokies 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Apple Strudel Recipe 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Autumn Sangria: Apple Cider and... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Chef John's Party Cheese Puffs 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Macadamia Nut & White Chocolate... 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Caramel Sea Salt Banana Pudding 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Minty Chocolate Christmas Bundt 4.6/5 (20 Votes)
- Trios Christmas Cookies 4.8/5 (4 Votes)