Coconut Acorn Squash & Carrot Soup
- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 13 ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Basil leaves and/or Toasted Squash Seeds (optional)
Adapted from bhg.com
1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Arrange squash halves, cut sides down, in a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes or until tender. Scoop flesh from squash; discard skin.
2.In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, and ginger. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add squash flesh, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3.Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or, transfer to a blender). Ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes.
From the Test Kitchen
Toasted Squash Seeds:
Rinse seeds and pat dry with paper towels. In a small bowl, mix seeds with 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil. Spread seeds in a single layer in a shallow baking pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Roast in the 400 degrees F oven for 5 to 8 minutes until toasted, stirring once.
Pierce squash in 3 places with a sharp knife. Microwave for 7 minutes or until tender. When cool enough to handle slice squash in halve and remove seeds. Reserve some of the seeds for garnish, if desired. Scoop flesh from squash halves and set aside. Discard skins.
Nutrition Facts (Coconut Acorn Squash & Carrot Soup)
252 kcal cal.,
18 g fat
(16 g sat. fat,
0 g polyunsaturated fat,
1 g monounsatured fat),
8 mg chol.,
388 mg sodium,
20 g carb.,
3 g fiber,
2 g sugar,
2 g pro.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet
You'll also love
- White Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Brown Sugar-Bacon Meatloaf 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Heirloom Tomato Cornbread Salad 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken Tacos 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Grilled Sriracha Cauliflower Steaks 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Pork Chops with Sauteed Zucchini... 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Charred Corn Salad with Mint,... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Pineapple Chocolate Carrot Cake 4.5/5 (6 Votes)