Cranberry Orange Upside-Down Spice Cake
Made with cranberries that are cooked down into a syrupy sweet jam for the topping and a soft buttery orange cake, this is one fabulous dessert. Add this beautiful upside-down cake to your fall spread.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 11 ounce can mandarin orange sections, drained
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a medium bowl stir together flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; set aside. Place the 3 tablespoons butter in a 10x2-inch cast-iron or other heavy oven-going skillet. Place skillet in the oven for 3 to 5 minutes or until butter is melted. Remove from oven. Carefully tip skillet to coat the sides with butter.
Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over bottom of skillet. Arrange orange sections over brown sugar. Top evenly with cranberries.
In a large bowl combine eggs, yogurt, granulated sugar, the melted butter, and vanilla. Add flour mixture to egg mixture, one-third at a time, stirring just until combined after each addition. Spoon batter into skillet, spreading to cover fruit.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center of cake comes out clean. Cool in skillet on a wire rack for 3 to 4 minutes. Run a knife around edges of cake to loosen. Invert a serving platter over skillet. Carefully turn platter and skillet over together; remove skillet. Replace any fruit that remains in skillet. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice Latte... 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Crispy Baked Macaroni & Cheese 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Spicy Sweet Potato Oven Fries 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Honey Balsamic Sheet Pan Chicken 3.8/5 (8 Votes)
- 2-Ingredient Banana Bread Cookies 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Chili and Citrus Grilled Chicken 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Fudge-Bottom Candy Crunch Pie 4.1/5 (7 Votes)
- Pistachio-Cranberry Rugelach Recipe 4.1/5 (7 Votes)