Cornbread with Bacon and Corn
- 1 c cornmeal
- 2 c buttermilk
- 10 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 3/4 c unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c brown sugar, firmly packed (light)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 1/2 c fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 2 tbsp bacon fat or vegetable oil
1) Preheat the oven to 375. Lay out the bacon on 2 sheet pans. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the bacon is crisp. Remove the bacon strips to a paper towel lined plate to cool. Save 2 tbsp of the bacon fat for greasing your pan later.
2) In a small bowl mix together the cornmeal and buttermilk and set aside.
3) Lower the temp to 350. Stir together with a whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a mixing bowl. Lightly beat the eggs in a small bowl and then stir it in to the flour mixture along with the granulated sugar & brown sugar. Dissolve the honey in the warm butter and add to flour mixture along with the soaked cornmeal & buttermilk. Lastly stir in the frozen or fresh corn.
4) Add the bacon fat to a 10 inch round cake pan or a 9 x 13 dish. Place the pan in the oven for 5 minutes or until the fat gets very hot. Remove the pan from the oven and pour in the cornbread batter and spread evenly. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon and press them into the batter slightly.
5) Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
6) Allow to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Parmesan Polenta with Sausage... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pink Lemonade Cheesecake 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Creamy Potato Soup 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Pasta with Burst Cherry Tomato... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Beef Stroganoff 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Jalapeño Cilantro Corn Salad 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Grilled Pork with Peaches 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Honey Mustard Grilled Pork Chops 4.5/5 (6 Votes)