Parmesan Polenta with Sausage Ragout
A hearty classic Italian dish, perfect for the coming of fall. Tuck into a bowl of creamy polenta with spicy Italian sausage ragout tonight!
- 1 ⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausages, casings removed
- 1 red onion, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ⁄4 cup basil leaves, finely chopped
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups polenta (not quick-cooking) or yellow cornmeal
- 1 ⁄2 cup Parmesan, freshly grated, plus more for garnish
Adapted from saveur.com
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 4-quart saucepan over medium-high; add sausage and cook, breaking it into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned, 5 minutes. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Add tomatoes and boil; simmer until thick, 20 minutes. Add basil, vinegar, kosher salt, and pepper; keep warm.
Meanwhile, bring sea salt and 5 cups water to a boil in a 4-quart saucepan; slowly add polenta and cook, stirring constantly, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until thick and creamy, 8 minutes. Remove from heat and add remaining oil, 1⁄2 cup parmesan, and kosher salt.
Divide between bowls and top with ragout; garnish with more Parmesan.
You'll also love
- Crock Pot Tuna Casserole 4.3/5 (7 Votes)
- Plum Torte 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Sensational Sirloin Kabobs 3.8/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweatin' Turkey Vegetable Chili 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Italian Pork Chili with Polenta 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Raw Vegan Eggnog 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Savory Sausage, Cauliflower &... 4.3/5 (17 Votes)
- Vegan Baked Ziti #2....with... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)