Lentils With Sausage And Swiss Chard
- 8 ounces sweet Italian turkey sausage (abt 2 links) casings removed, and sausage finely crumbled
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled carrot
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/3 cups dried lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 2 1/2 cups water or more if needed
- 1 pound Swiss chard - (abt 1 lg bunch) thick ribs and stems cut away and discarded, leaves coarsely
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Sauté sausage in large deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until cooked through, about 6 minutes. Drain any excess fat from skillet.
Add carrot, onion and garlic to skillet; sauté until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in lentils, bay leaf, fennel seeds and rosemary.
Add 2 1/2 cups water and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until lentils are almost tender, about 20 minutes.
Place Swiss chard atop lentils; cover and cook until lentils are tender and chard is wilted and tender, adding more water if mixture is dry, about 7 minutes. Stir to blend. Season with salt and pepper. Discard bay leaf.
This recipe yields 2 main-course servings.
Per serving: calories, 490; total fat, 6 g; saturated fat, 2 g; cholesterol, 38 mg.
You'll also love
- Lemon Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Herb And Lemon Goat Cheese Spread 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Vegetables With Olive And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Portobello And Arugula... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Garbanzo Bean, Tuna And Onion... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Garbanzo Bean And Tahini Burgers 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Feta, Cucumber And Spinach Pita... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Braised Pork Loin Cutlets With... 0/5 (0 Votes)