Shrimp, Mango, and Avocado Rolls
- 12 slices bacon
- 1/4 cup shallot (finely chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 1/2 teas honey
- 1/2 teas Dijon mustard
- 2 large ripe avocados (halved, pitted, flesh scooped out and diced)
- 2 large ripe Champagne or Kent mangos (peeled, sliced off the pits, and diced)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh or thawed frozen medium shrimp (shells and tails removed)
- 6 split-top hot dog buns (buttered and toasted)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from thechew.com
1 Place a large skillet over medium heat. Add the bacon and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, until browned and crisp. Transfer the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate, leaving the fat in the skillet, and set aside.
2 Return the pan with the fat to medium heat, add the shallot and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes, until fragrant, tender, and just beginning to brown. Scrape the garlic, shallot, and drippings into a medium bowl. Set the pan aside.
3 To prepare the vinaigrette: to a bowl add vinegar, honey, mustard salt & pepper to taste with the garlic and the shallot. Whisk or mix with a fork until well emulsified. Add the avocados and mangoes, gently toss together, and set aside.
4 In the same skillet used for the bacon, add oil and butter and heat over high heat until the oil is hot but not smoking and the butter has begun to foam. Add the shrimp, without crowding the pan (cook them in two batches if necessary). Season with salt & pepper to taste, and cook, flipping over once, until seared and browned, no more than 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
5 Optional: Preheat griddle on low. Brush buns with butter and place on griddle until golden brown.
6 Open buns or rolls, trying not to separate the tops from the bottoms, and arrange a layer of cooked shrimp on the bottom of each bun. Top the shrimp with the avocado and mango mix and crown each with a couple slices of bacon. Close the sandwiches and serve.
7 Tips: Instead of shrimp, use lobster or jumbo lump crab meat.
You'll also love
- Strawberry Shortcake Kabobs 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Hotdogs with Grilled Avocado &... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Tuna Zuchinni Cakes 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Shrimp Tacos with Guacamole Cream... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mini Crab Briks and Chili Dip 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Tom Yum Soup with Shrimp 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Charred Mangoes with Ricotta,... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Mango and Pumpkin Spice Cake 4.4/5 (10 Votes)