Apple & Cinnamon Muffins with a Coconut Walnut Streusel
Try this delicious flavorful Apple and Cinnamon Muffins with a Coconut Walnut Streusel recipe.
- 1 1/3 cups ground sunflower seeds, pepitas and flaxseed or almond meal
- 1 cup coconut sugar or xylitol
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 1 1/2 tablespoon coconut flour
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspooon baking powder
- 2 free range eggs
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, rolled oats, pepitas or sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup coconut, shredded
- 2 tablespoon coconut sugar or xylitol
- 1 large teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup or rice syrup
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from karenluvslife.blogspot.com.au
Note: If you don't want to go to the trouble of making the streusel then add the 1/2 cup walnuts and 1/3 cup coconut to the muffin mix at stage 1.
Preheat oven the 350°F. (180°C)
Add ground seeds or almond meal, sugar, coconut flour, cinnamon and baking powder to a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
Add the grated apple and stir through making sure that there are no clumps and the dry mix is evenly distributed through the grated apple. This will ensure that the apple doesn’t end up in clumps when baked. The mix will be very wet.
Make a well in the centre then add the egg and oil. Mix them together quickly to break up the eggs and combine with the oil
Quickly fold the egg mixture through the mix then spoon or pour into the muffin pans.
Bake for 15 minute then add the streusel and bake for another 5 minutes or until done. It's ok to take them out of the oven, just be quick!
If not adding the streusel then bake for 20 minutes or until done.
Add the walnuts, coconut and cinnamon to a blender or food processor and light pulse to combine and break up the mixture until it
resembles course bread crumbs.
Alternately you can chop the walnuts into small pieces then add them to the coconut.
Add the syrup and oil/butter the pulse again until they cover the whole mix. If you're not using a blender then distribute evenly with your fingertips until the mixture is moist and sticky.
Use the seed mix for the flour and sunflower seeds, pepitas or oats for the streusel.
You'll also love
- Waffled Brioche French Toast 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Sausage Mushroom Quiche 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Bunny Bum Cupcakes 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Drunken Beans (Cook's Illustrated) 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Spaghetti Squash Au Gratin 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Turkey Vegetable Soup with... 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Apple-Sausage Sauté 4.6/5 (13 Votes)
- Blackberry Bourbon Boston Butt 4.6/5 (14 Votes)