Crispy Broccoli-Carrot Fritters with Yogurt-Dill Sauce
These quick, crispy fritters are packed with vegetables and get super crisp in the pan. Omit the red pepper if you prefer a little less heat.
I love these fritters. They're quick and easy for a week night, and they're delicious as leftovers. I've also made them substituting yellow onion for green, and added a little garlic salt. I use just a touch less flour than the recipe calls for. Packing them into a measuring cup and using that to press down into patties gives a nice shape and helps them hold together.
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup matchstick-cut carrots
- 2.25 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1/2 cup)
- 1.5 ounces Parmesan cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Place 4 cups water, broccoli, and carrots in a small saucepan; bring to a boil. Cook 4 minutes; drain. Pat broccoli mixture dry with paper towels; finely chop. Place broccoli mixture and flour in a large bowl; stir to coat. Add cheese, salt, pepper, onions, and egg to broccoli mixture; stir to combine.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Spoon 1/4 cup broccoli mixture into a dry measuring cup. Pour mixture into pan; flatten slightly. Repeat procedure 7 times to form 8 fritters. Cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Combine yogurt and dill in a small bowl. Serve yogurt mixture with fritters.