Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- 6 medium chicken thighs
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups prepared brown or white rice (I used 2 bags Birds Eye frozen brown rice)
- 7 medium size fresh mushrooms, sliced (about 2 c.)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (10 1/2 oz) cans cream of mushroom soup (I used 98% F.F.)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon Tony Chachere's Original creole seasoning
- Garlic powder
- Freshly cracked black pepper
Prepare rice according to package directions, then set aside to cool. (I microwaved frozen rice in the bag then poured it out to cool. Cold leftover rice could also be used.) Cut up the mushrooms and garlic. Spray a 13x9 glass baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
Meanwhile, rub olive oil all over the chicken pieces; then season with a little garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Add thighs, skin side down, and brown well on both sides. (They will finish cooking in the oven) Remove chicken from pan. Discard all except 1 teaspoon of the grease from the skillet. Reheat skillet on medium heat, then add the garlic; cook and stir for about 45 seconds. Whisk in the soup, milk, creole seasoning, salt, and pepper. Stir in the mushrooms. Bring to a low bubble, stirring frequently to prevent scorching.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Spread rice in the bottom of the baking dish. Arrange thighs on top of the rice, skin side up. Pour soup mixture over the top of all.
Cover the pan tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake for about 20 minutes more, or until chicken is done.
Serve with a green vegetable and hot, buttered yeast rolls.
You'll also love
- Scallops 'n Pasta 4.5/5 (53 Votes)
- Fried Chicken Alfredo 4.4/5 (65 Votes)
- Easy Roast Chicken 4.6/5 (45 Votes)
- African Chicken Stew 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Fried Polenta with Carmelized... 4.4/5 (58 Votes)
- Easy Chicken & Rice Wraps by... 4.3/5 (80 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Chicken Lo Mein 4.1/5 (77 Votes)
- Chicken Alfredo Roll-Ups 4.4/5 (62 Votes)
Review this recipe