Easy Roast Chicken
A classic from "The Joy of Cooking," with our own additional seasonings
- 1 whole chicken, 3-7 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning (we like Mouton's which includes ginger)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1-3 Tablespoons butter (we use Smart Balance)
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Preheat the oven to 400º F. Wash the chicken thoroughly and pat dry.
Carefully loosen the skin as much as you can without tearing it, separating it from the meat to help it get crispy during the roasting process. Rub the chicken all over with the butter, then with the spice mixture.
Place the chicken breast side up in a roasting pan (we like to use a v-rack, and tie the legs together). Put it in the oven and roast until its juices run clear. That will happen in about 55 to 65 minutes for a chicken just under 4 pounds, when the meat registers 175º on a meat thermometer. Larger birds will take about one hour for the first 4 pounds plus an addition 8 minutes for each pound above that.
Remove chicken to a platter and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes. Carve and serve.
You'll also love
- Baked Fried Chicken 4.4/5 (63 Votes)
- Smothered Pork Chops 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- African Chicken Stew 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Asian Chicken Salad Wraps 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Chicken & Dumpling Casserole 4.5/5 (56 Votes)
- Honey Balsamic Chicken Strips 4.5/5 (54 Votes)
- Crick's Chicken and Dumplings 5/5 (6 Votes)
- Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken 4.5/5 (41 Votes)