Spinach, Tomato & Goat Cheese Pastatta
This hybrid dish is a cross between a frittata and a pasta based casserole. It's flavorful and simple to prepare for brunch, lunch or dinner.
- 8 ounces fusilli dry pasta
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup half and half
- 4 ounces goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces baby spinach
- 6 large eggs
- olive oil cooking spray
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 cup shredded mozzerella
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Cook pasta in boiling salted water to al dente, drain and set aside.
While the pasta is cooking prepare the bechamel by melting butter in a medium sauce pan set over medium heat. Add flour and whisk smooth. Slowly add the half and half while whisking constantly and allow to thicken (about 2 minutes). Take off the heat and stir in the goat cheese until melted. Season with half the salt and pepper. Set aside. Heat olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Saute the shallot one minute. Saute the garlic one minute. Add the spinach to wilt. Combine the spinach, garlic and onion with the bechamel. Beat eggs and add to the bechamel along with the pasta and stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Using a serated knife slice the tomatoes into 1/4 inch rounds (about 12 slices). Season with remaining salt and pepper. Spray a spring form pan, large pie plate or casserole dish that is large enough to hold the ingredients. Pour half the mixture in to the dish and top with a layer of half of the tomatoes. Next, add the remaining mixture and tomatoes.
Par bake 20-25 minutes. Top with the mozzarella and return to the oven to finish baking (about 25-30 minutes more). Cool 10 minutes, slice and serve warm.
You'll also love
- Slow Cooker Pork Cacciatore 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Black and Wild Rice Salad with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Orange Tapioca Pudding Salad 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Zucchini & Potato Tian 4.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Herbed Ricotta Pasta with Corn and... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- White House Spinach Pie 4.6/5 (36 Votes)
- Kevin's Famous Macaroni and Cheese 4.6/5 (31 Votes)
- One-Pot Pasta with Tomato-Basil... 4.5/5 (41 Votes)