Sea Bass & Tomato Ceviche
Choose the best-quality fish for this simple ceviche.
- 1/4 medium red onion, chopped, plus thin slices for serving
- 1 large celery stalk, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1/4 habanero chile, seeded
- 1 tablespoon chopped peeled ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt, plus more
- 1/3 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound sea bass fillet, skin, bones, and bloodline removed
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice or fresh orange juice, strained
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice, strained, plus more to taste
- 1 pound mixed heirloom tomatoes, whole or cut into wedges, depending on size
- micro-greens, for serving
Preparation time 90mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from bonappetit.com
Purée chopped onion, celery, garlic, habanero, ginger, sugar, 1 tablespoon salt, and 1/4 cup water in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl; stir in cilantro. Cover and chill 1 hour.
Meanwhile, trim fish to create clean edges. Holding your knife at a 45° angle, slice into 1/4-inch-thick pieces; try for one fluid movement per slice to avoid shredding flesh. Transfer to a plate as you go, separating layers with sheets of plastic wrap as needed. Chill until ready to serve.
Strain purée through a fine-mesh sieve into a small bowl, pressing down on solids to extract as much liquid as possible (you should have about 1/2 cup; this is your “leche de tigre”). Stir in passion fruit juice and lime juice, adding a bit more lime juice to balance acidity if needed.
Arrange fish and tomatoes in shallow bowls; spoon leche de tigre over. Season with salt and top with sliced onion and microgreens. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Pressure Cooker Red Lentil Split... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Bacon and Shrimp Pasta Toss 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts with... 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Easy & Cheesy Garlic Breadsticks 4.6/5 (35 Votes)
- Smoked Pork and White Bean Soup 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Crab Imperial 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 5/5 (3 Votes)
- Salmon With Olive Relish and... 5/5 (3 Votes)