Corned Beef Cabbage with a Tangy Glaze
Once the brisket is slow cooked, it gets a tangy glaze of apple cider and brown sugar while the potatoes, carrots and onions cook in the liquid.
- 1 (3-pound) flat-cut corned beef brisket
- 8 medium red potatoes, cut in half
- 8 carrots, peeled
- 2 large onions, cut into chunks
- 1 green cabbage, cored and cut into quarters
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 500mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
Rinse and drain the brisket.
In either a Dutch oven or slow cooker, cover the brisket with water and empty the spice packet.
Cook at a very low simmer for 50 minutes per pound, or in a slow cooker for 6 to 8 hours.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and remove the brisket into a foiled lined baking pan.
Whisk together the glaze ingredients and brush all over the brisket.
Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.
While the brisket finishes, add the potatoes, carrots and onion to the pot and cook on medium-high until fork tender, about 20 minutes.
In the last 5 minutes, add the cabbage quarters and cover. Cook the cabbage until it's slightly tender, but not overcooked.
Optional: Turn the broiler to high and broil the brisket for a minute or two, so the glaze will "set".
Slice the brisket and serve with the vegetables.
You'll also love
- Mom's Bread Stuffing with ... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Lowfat Carrot, Banana, Zucchini... 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Christmas Cauliflower Casserole 4.3/5 (34 Votes)
- Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes 4.3/5 (36 Votes)
- Seriously Good Sausage Bites,... 4.3/5 (34 Votes)
- Upside Down Banana Walnut French... 4.3/5 (34 Votes)
- Holiday Deep Fried Ham 3.8/5 (162 Votes)
- Corn Fritters Martha Stewart 4.4/5 (24 Votes)