Tomato-Chipotle Soup With Fresh Peach Salsa
- 2 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes seeded, chopped
- 1 cup tomato juice - (about)
- 4 tablespoons chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped canned chipotle chilies or more to taste
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 ripe peach peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1 teaspoon minced jalapeño chili
Reserve 1 cup chopped tomatoes for peach salsa. Place remaining tomatoes in processor and puree until smooth. Transfer to 2-quart glass measuring cup. Add enough tomato juice to puree to equal 5 cups tomato mixture.
Place 2 cups tomato mixture in blender. Add 2 tablespoons onion, 2 tablespoons cilantro, 2 teaspoons chipotle chilies and garlic to blender. Puree until very smooth.
Stir puree back into tomato mixture in measuring cup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more chopped chipotles, if desired. Cover; refrigerate until well chilled, about 1 hour. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep soup chilled. Cover reserved chopped tomatoes and chill.)
Mix reserved chopped tomatoes, remaining 2 tablespoons onion and 1 tablespoon cilantro, peach and jalapeño in small bowl. Ladle tomato soup into bowls. Sprinkle with peach salsa; serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per serving: calories, 43; total fat, 0; saturated fat, 0; cholesterol, 0.