Lamb - Baby Lamb Chops with Artichokes and Egg-Lemon Sauce
You may be familiar with the Greek avgolemono (egg-lemon) sauce, but the same sauce is also part of Italian Jewish tradition. The egg-lemon mixture is added off the heat, and it immediately thickens the pan juices into a creamy, tangy sauce that is unforgettable.
This dish goes together quickly, so be sure you have all your ingredients prepared before you start cooking. If you can’t find baby lamb chops, you can substitute chicken breasts or veal scallopini, both pounded thin. (Michael Chiarello)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 12 baby lamb rib chops
- Sea salt, preferably gray salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 tablespoons finely minced fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 recipe Roasted Artichokes, quarters halved lengthwise
In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs and lemon juice.
Season the chops with salt and pepper. Just before you are ready to cook, dip the chops in the flour to coat both sides lightly. Shake off the excess.
Heat a heavy 14-inch skillet over high heat. When the skillet is very hot, add 2 tablespoons of the olive oil and swirl to coat, then add the chops. Sear them on one side until you see bloody juices rising, 3 to 4 minutes, then turn and cook for about 30 seconds on the second side. Transfer to a platter and keep warm in a low oven. Pour off the excess fat in the skillet.
Return the skillet to high heat, add the wine, and stir with a wooden spoon to release any flavorful bits stuck to the skillet. Add the stock or broth and simmer until reduced by one-third. Pour the reduced liquid into a bowl and wipe out the skillet with a paper towel.
Return the skillet to moderately high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. When hot, add the parsley and garlic and sauté briefly to release their fragrance. Add the artichokes and stir to coat with the seasonings, then return the liquid to the pan. Bring to a simmer, then remove the skillet from the heat and add the egg-lemon mixture. Swirl the pan constantly until the eggs thicken the sauce, which will happen quickly.
Spoon the artichokes and sauce onto a warmed platter. Top with the lamb chops and serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Asian Tilapia 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Fresh Broccoli with Cream Cheese... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Mushroom Soup (adapted from... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Blue's Banana Pops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Orange Buttermilk Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Casserole, Zippy Beef Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Campbell's Green Bean Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Jeweled Pork Roast 0/5 (0 Votes)