Skillet Huevos is a tortilla layered with your favorite beans with an egg cradled in the beans, topped with cheese and your favorite toppings. Perfect for a weekend breakfast!
- 4 (6 inch) tortillas (I use a corn and flour blend)
- 4 eggs (1 per serving….you can add more if you want)
- 2 cups cooked rinsed beans (black bean, pinto, cannellini, or heirloom beans)
- 1/2 onion, sliced or diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup crumbled cotija, queso fresco, feta or goat cheese, optional
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Optional: bell pepper, kale, zucchini, mushrooms,
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from feastingathome.com
Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large pan, saute onion in a little olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes. (At this point, if you are adding other veggies, do this now, cooking until tender). Add garlic, sauté for a minute or two. Add 1/2 of the diced tomatoes (saving half for garnish) and cooked rinsed beans, spices, salt, and 2 tablespoons of water. Let simmer on med low for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
Brush 4 mini cast iron skillets (or one large skillet) with olive oil, coating the edges too. Lay tortillas down and brush tops of tortillas with a little oil.
Divide bean mixture onto the tortillas, making little indentions with the back of a spoon, for the eggs to rest, so they stay in place. ( If using large skillet, layer the tortillas so they come up the sides of the skillet a bit ( you may need a couple extra), and spread all of the beans evenly over the tortillas, making indents for the eggs).
Carefully crack the eggs and place them in the indentions. Sprinkle eggs with salt and pepper, and if you want, crumbled cheese, and place in the hot oven.
Check after 10-12 minutes. Cook until egg whites are white and yolks are to your desired doneness. Serve with avocado, lime, cilantro, hot sauce, and fresh tomatoes.
You'll also love
- Italian Sausage & Zucchini Soup 4.2/5 (24 Votes)
- MINIATURE COCONUT TARTS 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Southwestern Chicken Fajita Mason... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Chicken Breasts with Morel... 3.9/5 (14 Votes)
- Pomegranate Cranberry Sauce with... 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough... 3.9/5 (11 Votes)
- English Muffins 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Christmas Pasta Sauce 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
Review this recipe