Spam Fries & Kale Chips with Bloody Mary Dip
To be honest, we were slightly skeptical about how spam fries would turn out. After all, what is fries without carb-filled potatoes? Turns out eating spam in strips was a fun experience, especially when paired with our homemade Bloody Mary sauce and paper-thin kale chips that shatter at the faintest touch. This is finger grub at its most playful and delightful.
- For Spam fries:
- 1 can Spam Lite, cut into 1/2″ strips
- Vegetable oil for frying
- For kale chips:
- 1/2 branch kale
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & black pepper, to taste
- Pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- For Bloody Mary dip:
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp horseradish cream
- Dash Worcestershire sauce
- Dash lemon juice
- Dash Tabasco sauce
- 11/2 tsp Vodka
- Pinch salt & black pepper
Adapted from cookism.tumblr.com
1. Preheat oven to 150C. Remove kale leaves from stem and cut them into bite-size pieces. Wash and spin the leaves thoroughly dry in a salad spinner. Lay individual kale leaves onto a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Drizzle and coat them with a little olive oil. Season with salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper to taste. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, rotating the pan halfway till kale is crisp and lightly browned. Allow kale chips to cool before transferring it to a serving board or plate.
2. For Bloody Mary dip, combine all ingredients for the dipping sauce. Stir well and transfer to a sauce dish.
3. In a saucepan, heat oil 1 inch deep to 175C. Working in batches, carefully fry spam fries for about 4 to 5 minutes till crispy and browned, then place on kitchen towel to drain off excess oil. Serve Spam fries and kale chips with bloody mary dip. Pop open a bottle of beer, sit back and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Heidi Swanson's Summer Squash Soup... 3.9/5 (10 Votes)
- Honey Rhubarb Cobbler 3.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Fennel, Arugula & Green Apple... 4.2/5 (9 Votes)
- Lemony Roasted Salmon with... 4.3/5 (11 Votes)
- Bloody Mary (Bar Louie recipe) 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Shoyu Chicken & Spam Musubi 4/5 (1 Votes)
- pioneer woman bloody mary 3.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Bacon-Wrapped Spam bites 0/5 (0 Votes)