Hazy Waters Sweet and Savory Kale
Some people do not like kale stem, so the steam are not added to the recipe. If you do, you can dice them and put them in the pot with the onions. This will allow them to soften up.
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1-2 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Honey (or 4 teaspoons white sugar)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups kale, stems removed,leaves torn
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- salt and pepper to taste
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 35mins
1. In a large pot over medium, add 1/4 cup sliced almonds with a dash of salt. Stir constantly until slightly toasted. Remove almonds and set aside.
2. Return the pan to the cooktop and add bacon, olive oil, and onion and cook over medium heat; cook and stir until the onion softens a bit and the bacon crisps up a bit, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic cook for about 1-2 minutes until the onion turns translucent.
3. Stir in the mustard, sugar, vinegar, and chicken stock, and bring to a boil over high heat. Stir in the kale, cover, and cook 5 minutes until wilted.
4. Stir in the dried cranberries, and continue boiling, uncovered, until the liquid has reduced by about half, and the cranberries have softened, about 15 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Sprinkle with sliced almonds before serving.