Creamy Orzo with Asparagus & Parmesan
After making this Athenian Orzo recently, I was inspired to try another orzo dish. Every once in a while, I'll get a little more creative than usual in the kitchen and attempt something completely new without using a recipe. This Creamy Orzo with Asparagus & Parmesan was my reward! This turned out way better than I expected. Brad and I both loved this side dish!
The creamy orzo pairs perfectly with the yummy crunch of the asparagus...and of course, parmesan makes everything better! This dish pairs perfectly with a variety of main courses...chicken, steak or seafood. Next time, I may even add a little prosciutto or bacon to this. With that addition, it would even make a great meal in itself!
Because it's been a few days since I made this, I am going to guesstimate at the quantities of the ingredients. Please feel free to adjust the quantities to your own liking. You can't mess this dish up...it's super easy!***
- 1 cup orzo
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
Adapted from sugarandspice-celeste.blogspot.com
Bring a large sauce pan of water (filled about halfway) to a boil over medium heat. Cook the orzo until tender, about 10 minutes.
After the orzo has been cooking for about 5 minutes, add the asparagus to the same pot (this will allow the orzo and asparagus to cook in the same pot and keep the clean-up to a minimum!).
Once the orzo and asaparagus are cooked and tender, drain and return to the pot.
Quickly add the parmesan cheese and butter. Stir thoroughly, allowing both the cheese and butter to melt. Slowly add the cream to the mixture, while stirring. Continue to stir and add cream until you reach your desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper.
Voila! You have a delicious side dish! Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Tortilla and Mexican Chorizo Soup 4.5/5 (66 Votes)
- Barefoot Contessa's Lemon Bars 4.1/5 (112 Votes)
- Potato Soup 4.5/5 (62 Votes)
- Marshmallow Caramel Popcorn 4.3/5 (81 Votes)
- Maple Cream Sauce for Butternut... 3.7/5 (163 Votes)
- Chicken and Asparagus Crepes 4.4/5 (66 Votes)
- Creamy Baked Macaroni and Cheese 4.5/5 (59 Votes)
- Lemon Garlic Parmesan Orzo w/ Peas 4.5/5 (46 Votes)