Egg Salad Crostini with White Anchovies
Crostini slices are topped with a thin slice of onion, egg salad and piece of white Anchovy. Makes an elegant tasty appetizer for your next get together.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 thin baguette, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large garlic clove, halved
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon chives, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 24 white anchovy fillets or pickled herring pieces, drained, patted dry and halved crosswise
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a skillet. Add the onion; cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally until browned, 1 hour. Season with salt and pepper.
Preheat the oven to 300°F. Lightly brush both sides of the bread slices with olive oil and arrange on a large baking sheet. Bake the crostini for 5 minutes, or until crisp, but not golden. Immediately rub 1 side of each crostini with the garlic. Let cool on the baking sheet.
Meanwhile, prepare an ice water bath. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the eggs and return to a boil, then boil for 7 minutes. Immerse the eggs in the ice water bath until completely cool, then peel and transfer to a medium bowl. Lightly mash the eggs with a large fork. Gently stir in the chives, vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
To assemble, top each crostini with the onion, followed by the egg salad and a piece of anchovy.
You'll also love
- Tilefish in Red Sauce 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Marinated White Bean Salad Jars 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Crab, Chile & Mint Crostini 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Fudgy Bonbons 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Tuna Salad with Endives and... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Springtime Asparagus, Strawberry,... 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Carolina Red Slaw 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Ye Olde-Fashioned Classic Egg Salad 4.5/5 (11 Votes)