Tilefish in Red Sauce
The recipe title says tilefish but any firm fleshed fish, such as cod, will work
- 1/2 c. Olive oil
- 1 lb ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded and sliced or 1 2 lb can drained (use fresh they hold up better in the sauce)
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small hot red pepper diced, or a small dried hot red pepper crumbled, try and avoid red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 1 1/4" tilefish steaks, not filets
- 2 tbls chopped fresh cilantro or flat leaved parsley
- 1 tbl paprika, I use a sweet, smoked Spanish version. If you use a hot version you might want to leave out the red pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 60mins
Preheat oven to 400*
Pour half the oil into a shallow ovenproof pan big enough to to hold all the fish in one layer.
Place half the tomatoes, garlic and the red pepper in the pan.
Layer in the fish steaks.
Cover with the rest of the tomatoes, season to taste with the salt and pepper and sprinkle on the cilantro.
Mix the paprika with the rest of the oil and pour over the fish and tomatoes spreading it with a spoon if necessary.
Cook over high heat on the stove for 5 minutes, cover and bake for 20 more minutes.
Serve with rice or crusty bread.