Sufganiyot with Dulce de Leche Whipped Cream Filling & Chocolate Drizzle
Rich caramel flavors piped into freshly fried doughnuts, these decant treats make a great addition to any Hanukkah spread and also are sure to impress at any brunch or breakfast spread. Make these any time of the year when you're craving dulce de leche and chocolate. This recipe goes perfectly with good friends and an excellent cup of coffee.
- 1/2 cup warm water brought to about 105°F to 115°F
- 2 (0.25-ounce) packages regular active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus 1 pinch, divided
- 5 cups Gold Medal™ all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup warm milk brought to about 105°F to 115°F
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- vegetable oil for frying
- DULCE DE LECHE WHIPPED CREAM:
- 1 (1-pint) package heavy whipping cream, about 2 cups
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 (13.4 oz) can dulce de leche (caramelized sweetened condensed milk)
- CHOCOLATE DRIZZLE:
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 teaspoons shortening
Preparation time 120mins
Cooking time 165mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
In large bowl, stir warm water, yeast, and a pinch of the granulated sugar until yeast dissolves; let stand a few minutes until yeast bubbles. If yeast doesn’t bubble, throw out mixture and start over. Stir in remaining 1/3 cup of granulated sugar, 2 1/2 cups of the flour, the salt, cinnamon, warm milk, oil, and eggs until well mixed. Gradually stir in more flour until dough is firm and smooth.
Lightly grease large bowl with oil or cooking spray; place dough in bowl, turning to grease all sides. Cover bowl loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until dough has doubled in size.
Gently punch down dough; divide in half. Roll out each half to 1/4-inch thickness. Using 2 1/2-inch round cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out 30 circles, pressing together and rerolling dough scraps as necessary. Place circles on greased cookie sheet to rest, covering circles with a kitchen towel while oil for frying is heating up, 15 to 30 minutes.
In Dutch oven, heat 3 to 4 inches oil to 375°F. Fry sufganiyot, 4 or 5 at a time, in hot oil about 2 to 3 minutes on each side or until browned and cooked through to the center. Drain on a plate covered with paper towels. Cool at least 10 minutes before filling.
Meanwhile, make Dulce de Leche Whipped Cream. In chilled large bowl, beat whipping cream with electric mixer on high speed until starting to thicken. Gradually add powdered sugar, then vanilla, beating until thick. Beat in dulce de leche, 1 tablespoon at a time, until completely incorporated, then until stiff peaks form. Refrigerate until ready to use.
On sheet of waxed paper, arrange cooled sufganiyot in single layer. Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke a hole through the side of each to within 1/2 inch of opposite edge, be careful not to break through completely. In decorating bag fitted with round tip (1/4- to 3/4-inch wide), place whipped cream mixture; pipe 1 to 2 tablespoons into each sufganiyot.
In small resealable food-storage plastic bag, place chocolate chips and shortening; reseal bag. Microwave on high, stopping to squeeze bag every 30 seconds, until chips are melted and smooth. Cut very small opening in bottom corner of bag; pipe melted chocolate mixture over sufganiyot. Let stand until set, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Tres Leches Cupcakes with a Dulce... 4.4/5 (91 Votes)
- Pork and Noodle Soup with Shiitake... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Baguette, Smoked Oyster & Pancetta... 4/5 (9 Votes)
- Double Corn - Cornbread Stuffing 4.4/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin, Leek and Spinach Quiche 4/5 (15 Votes)
- Chicken or Turkey chili 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Roasted Zucchini Flatbread with... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Classic Bran Muffins 4.5/5 (8 Votes)