Classic Potato Latkes
These Classic Potato Latkes are perfect for any holiday gathering, festive celebration, or large dinner party, because this recipe yields 3 dozen latkes that you can top with your choice of assorted toppings. These latkes goes best with a dab of sour cream, smoked salmon, and chives, but you can top them with sour cream and applesauce to keep it classic.
- 2 large Russet potatoes, about 1 pound, scrubbed and cut lengthwise into quarters
- 1 large onion, about 8-ounces, peeled and cut into quarters
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons course kosher salt or 1 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- safflower or canola oil, for frying
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from cooking.nytimes.com
Using a food processor with a coarse grating disc, grate the potatoes and onion. Transfer the mixture to a clean dishtowel and squeeze and wring out as much of the liquid as possible.
Working quickly, transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Add the eggs, flour, salt, baking powder, and pepper, and mix until the flour is absorbed.
In a medium heavy-bottomed pan over medium-high heat, pour in about 1/4-inch of the frying oil. Once the oil is hot, a drop of batter placed in the pan should sizzle, use a heaping tablespoon to drop the batter into the hot pan, cooking in batches. Use a spatula to flatten and shape the drops into discs.
When the edges of the latkes are brown and crispy, after about 5 minutes, flip. Cook until the second side is deeply browned, about another 5 minutes. Transfer the latkes to a paper towel-lined plate to drain and sprinkle with salt while still warm. Repeat with the remaining batter.
Serve with a dab of sour cream, a bit of smoked salmon, and chives on top or any other garnish of your choice.
You'll also love
- White Bean Chili 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- SALADA DE LENTILHA, BATATA E... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Roasted Broccoli with... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Escarole-and-Brussels Sprout Salad 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Oysters Rockefeller Sourdough... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Fake Spaghetti & Meat Balls -... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- English Muffins 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Christmas Pasta Sauce 4.5/5 (8 Votes)