Slow Cooker Tempeh Braised with Figs and Port Wine
This is a tasty way to introduce novices to the delights of tempeh. Plus you throw everything into your slow cooker and go. It's from my first book, The Vegan Slow Cooker (http://amzn.to/1z6lDQd)
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 package (8 ounces, or 225 g) tempeh (*use plain soy tempeh to make this dish gluten-free), cubed
- 8 fresh figs, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1 ⁄2 cup (120 ml) water
- 1 cup (235 ml) port wine
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon (6 g) vegan chicken-flavored bouillon or 2 tablespoons (12 g) Chickeny Bouillon (page 19)
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 460mins
Adapted from healthyslowcooking.com
The night before :
Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat and sauté the onion until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer. Combine in an airtight container with the cut-up tempeh and figs and store in the fridge.
In the morning:
Combine all the ingredients in your 4 quart slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Please Note: If you're going to have this cooking longer than 8 hours you may want to add 1/4 to 1/2 cup water or broth so it doesn't cook dry.