Rugelach, Cinnamon, Apricot, and Walnut Pastries
These Rugelach are filled with cream cheese, sweet apricot jam, rich walnuts, and spicy cinnamon, for a sweet treat that is sure to be a hit at your next holiday gathering. Perfect for Hanukkah, these cookies are scrumptious treats that will satisfy a whole crowd of your family and friends.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 (4-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 egg
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup apricot jam
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup currants
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preparation time 100mins
Cooking time 135mins
Adapted from saveur.com
In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter, and cream cheese on medium speed. Add sour cream and egg and continue beating until smooth. Add flour, sugar, and salt, and continue beating mixture on low speed until a dough forms around paddle. Divide dough into 4 balls and wrap each in plastic; refrigerate for 1 hour.
Heat oven to 350°F.
Combine sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl; set aside. Working with 1 dough ball at a time, use a rolling pin to roll out a 10-inch circle. Spread 2 tablespoons jam over surface of circle, leaving a ¼-inch border around edges and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon. cinnamon-sugar, 2 tablespoons walnuts, and 2 tablespoons currants; press filling lightly with hands to adhere to jam. Using a knife, cut dough into 10 wedges. Working with 1 wedge at a time, roll up from wide end to narrow end. Transfer rolled crescent to a parchment paper lined baking sheet; repeat with remaining dough balls, jam, 3 tablespoons cinnamon-sugar, walnuts, and currants. Brush crescents with beaten egg and sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar.
Bake, rotating baking sheets half-way through cooking, until well browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a rack and let cool before serving.
You'll also love
- Rugelach 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Spelt Raisin & Molasses Muffins 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Roasted Red Pepper Sauce with Pasta 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Shredded Beef with Lime and Avocado 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Kielbasa Fried Rice 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Savory Zucchini Bread 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Creamy Green Bean & Tomato... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Chewy Skor Toffee Bits Cookies 4.2/5 (11 Votes)