Lumpiang Ubod (Fresh Spring Rolls)
Lumpiang Ubod (Fresh Spring Rolls) is a recipe filled with fresh veggies and rich savory pork and shrimp flavors. Serve with your favorite soy sauce-based dipping sauce or peanut sauce. With this recipe spring rolls are easy to make at home and this recipe will quickly become a family favorite. You can change the filling based on the ingredients you have at home--add cooked shrimp or some mushrooms for an added flavor flair.
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 11/2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups heart of palm, cut into thin slices or 2 cups boiled bamboo shoots, cut into matchsticks
- 8-ounces fresh shrimp, shelled, deveined and minced, about 1 cup
- 8-ounces boiled pork, cut into thin slices, about 1 cup
- 1 cup very thinly sliced green beans
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 15 lettuce leaves, washed
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock granules mixed with 1 cup hot water
- 11/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 cup crushed peanuts, to garnish
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 30mins
Whisk the eggs into the oil. Then add the cornstarch and salt, and whisk until well dissolved. Add the water to form a smooth batter.
Ladle about 3 tablespoons of the batter onto a heated skillet and tilt the skillet so the batter forms a thin, even layer. Cook for 1 minute, then flip the wrapper over and cook on the other side for another minute. Set the wrapper aside. Repeat to make 14 more wrappers or until the batter is used up.
Heat the oil in a saucepan and stir-fry the garlic until golden brown, then add the onion and stir-fry until translucent. Add the heart of palm or bamboo shoots and cook over medium heat until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the shrimp and pork, and cook until the shrimp turn pink. Add the green beans and simmer for 3 minutes.
Season with the salt and pepper and mix well. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Combine all the sauce ingredients, except the peanuts, in a deep saucepan or wok over high heat. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
Lay a wrapper on a flat surface. Place a lettuce leaf on the wrapper, so that part of the leaf extends beyond the edge of the Wrapper. Place 3 tablespoons of the filling at the edge of the wrapper, then fold one end in and roll it up.
You'll also love
- Longhorn Steakhouse Wild West... 4.1/5 (165 Votes)
- Cream Cheese Pineapple Pepper... 4.1/5 (14 Votes)
- Cream Soda Confetti Sheet Cake... 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Chicken, Sweet Potato and Bacon... 4.2/5 (17 Votes)
- Kielbasa Fried Rice 4.2/5 (12 Votes)
- Grilled Oysters with Chile Butter 4/5 (13 Votes)
- Fish Fry Trim Healthy Mama Style 4.3/5 (15 Votes)
- Pulled Pork Sliders 4.2/5 (12 Votes)