Nonna's Italian Ricotta Cookies
Italian Ricotta cheese cookies are the perfect sweet treat to end any meal of gathering. Make them for Christmas, Easter, or just about any time by changing the colors of the crystals for the decoration. These cookies can feed a large crowd of hungry friends and family. Consider making a batch for your next bake sale.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup margarine or butter, softened
- 1 (15-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- red and green sugar crystals (If making for holidays)
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from cookingwithnonna.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. In large bowl, with mixer at low speed, beat sugar, and margarine or butter until blended.
Increase speed to high; beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. At medium speed, beat in ricotta, vanilla, and eggs until well combined.
Reduce speed to low. Add flour, baking powder, and salt; beat until dough forms.
Drop dough by level tablespoons, about 2-inches apart, onto ungreased large cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until cookies are very lightly golden (cookies will be soft). With flat spatula, remove cookies to wire rack to cool. Repeat with remaining dough.
When cookies are cool, prepare icing: In small bowl, stir confectioners' sugar and milk until smooth. With small metal spatula or knife, spread icing on cookies; sprinkle with red or green sugar crystals. Set cookies aside to allow icing to dry completely, about 1 hour.
These cookies can also be made with almond flavoring or a flavoring of choice.
You'll also love
- Cheesecake Fruit Dip 4.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Nova Scotia Green Tomato Chow 3.5/5 (424 Votes)
- Pumpkin Pie Pudding 4.9/5 (16 Votes)
- Salted Chocolate Toffee Pretzel... 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Banana Pecan Brûlée Oatmeal For... 5/5 (4 Votes)
- Chocolate Bomb Pudding Shots 4.2/5 (85 Votes)
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Black-Eyed Pea and Ham Dip 5/5 (4 Votes)