Five-Spice Turkey & Lettuce Wraps
These turkey lettuce wraps are perfect served as an appetizer, snack or light lunch. They're super easy to make, healthy and delicious!
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 pound 93%-lean ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 (8-ounce) can water chestnuts, rinsed and chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spice powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 heads Boston lettuce, leaves separated
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs, such as cilantro, basil, mint and/or chives
- 1 large carrot, shredded
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from EVERYDAYHEALTH.COM
Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add rice; reduce heat to low, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add turkey and ginger; cook, crumbling with a wooden spoon, until the turkey is cooked through, about 6 minutes.
Stir in the cooked rice, bell pepper, water chestnuts, broth, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder and salt; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
To serve, divide lettuce leaves among plates, spoon some of the turkey mixture into each leaf, top with herbs and carrot and roll into wraps.
TIPS & NOTES:
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare the filling (through Step 2), cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day. Serve cold or reheat in the microwave.
Notes: Hoisin sauce is a spicy, sweet sauce made from soybeans, chiles, garlic and spices. It will keep in the refrigerator for at least a year.
Often a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel seed, star anise and Szechuan peppercorns, five-spice powder was originally considered a cure-all miracle blend encompassing the five elements (sour, bitter, sweet, pungent, salty). Look for it in the supermarket spice section.
Per serving: 276 calories; 11 g fat (3 g sat, 1 g mono); 66 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 26 g protein; 5 g fiber; 543 mg sodium; 390 mg potassium.
You'll also love
- Shrimp Cakes with Scallion Dip 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Strawberry Soy Smoothie 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Potato-Apple Gratin 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pumpkin Creme Brulee 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Crispy Kale "Chips" 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Beer-Braised Beef Short Ribs 4.4/5 (20 Votes)
- Heidi Swanson's Pan-Fried Giant... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Jamaican Dumplings with Plantains 4.5/5 (8 Votes)