Heidi Swanson's Pan-Fried Giant White Beans with Kale
- 1/2 bunch (6 ounces / 170 grams) dinosaur kale or lacinato kale, remove stems
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 to 3 big handfuls of cooked large white beans (like coronas, limas, or gigante beans)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces / 45 grams) walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Scant 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup (1/2 ounce / 15 grams) freshly grated Parmesan cheese (optional)
Adapted from food52.com
Chop the kale, wash it, and shake off as much water as you can. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in the widest skillet you own. Add the beans in a single layer. Stir to coat the beans, then let them sit long enough to brown lightly on one side, about 3 or 4 minutes, before turning to brown the other side, also about 3 or 4 minutes. The beans should be golden and a bit crunchy on the outside.
Add the kale and salt to the pan and cook for less than a minute, just long enough for the kale to lose a bit of its structure. Stir in the walnuts and garlic, wait 10 seconds, then stir in the nutmeg. Wait ten seconds and stir in the lemon juice and zest. Remove from heat and serve dusted with Parmesan cheese.
You'll also love
- Mini Pumpkin Pies 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Tuscan Beans with Basil Pesto &... 4.2/5 (16 Votes)
- Sunflower Spinach Pie 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Greek Salad with Lemon Oregano... 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Cola-Braised Short Ribs with... 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- GF - Rice bowl with black beans,... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Mini Kale-Mushroom Calzones with... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- White Bean Hummus (Vitamix - Jill... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)