German-Style Fried Potatoes - Bratkartoffeln
I remember trying German-Style Fried Potatoes (Bratkartoffeln) at Oktoberfest, they were so good! Now that I have the recipe, I'm enjoying them from home.
- 1 1/2 pounds small potatoes, boiled in their skins, peel, then place the potatoes in the fridge overnight)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 slices thin bacon or speck, cut into small cubes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil & butter (50/50)
- Salt and black pepper to season
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 40mins
Adapted from scrumpdillyicious.blogspot.com
Slice the cold potatoes into thin 1/8" slices, then set aside.
Add about 1 tablespoon of the oil to a large frying pan and heat gently. Fry the onions till soft then add the bacon pieces. Continue frying till the bacon and onions are lightly browned then remove from the pan with a slotted spoon. Set aside for now.
Add the remaining oil and butter to the pan and fry the potato slices over a low/medium heat, turning them occasionally. Allow them to brown lightly on one side before turning, repeating the process till most of the potatoes are golden brown. Once the potatoes are almost done, return the onion and bacon mix to the pan, season with salt and plenty of black pepper, then continue frying over a medium heat till everything is nicely browned.
You'll also love
- Omelet Rollups or Roulade with... 4.5/5 (22 Votes)
- Lemon Dump Cake 4.1/5 (59 Votes)
- La Panadería's Mexican Pink Cake 4/5 (181 Votes)
- David Venable's Beef Brisket... 4.2/5 (55 Votes)
- Apple Cranberry and Almond Slaw 4.4/5 (31 Votes)
- Greek Yogurt, Spinach, and Feta... 4/5 (69 Votes)
- Pull-Apart Garlic Rolls 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Strawberry Banana Cheesecake Salad 4.4/5 (28 Votes)