Perfect as a snack, party appetizer, or an easy lunch or dinner during the week, Stromboli Squares are a tasty spin on the iconic Italian sandwich.
- 3/4 pound bulk Italian pork sausage
- 2 cups Original Bisquick® mix
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 pound pepperoni, thinly sliced, about 56 slices
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, about 4 oz
- 1 (7-ounce) jar roasted red bell peppers, drained, cut into strips
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1 teaspoon poppy seed
- Marinara sauce, if desired
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from bettycrocker.com
Heat oven to 375°F. Spray 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray.
In 10-inch nonstick skillet, cook sausage over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until no longer pink; set aside.
In medium bowl, stir Bisquick mix, milk and 1 egg with whisk or fork until blended. Spread half of the batter in baking dish. Top with cooked sausage, pepperoni, cheese and roasted pepper strips. Pour remaining batter over mixture in baking dish; spread to cover. In small bowl, beat remaining egg and water. Carefully brush over batter; sprinkle with poppy seed.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Top each serving with marinara sauce.
Cook 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper and 1/4 cup chopped onion with the sausage, or for a spicier version, use bulk spicy Italian pork sausage.
Stromboli is a specialty sandwich originating from Philadelphia. It is a dough-encased sandwich filled with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and other meats. This easy Bisquick mix version wonderfully recreates the flavors and textures of the original.
You'll also love
- Original Ugly Duckling Cake 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Lemon Crunch Pie 4.4/5 (27 Votes)
- Pumpkin Spice No Bake Cookies 4.5/5 (26 Votes)
- Perfect Pork Chops 4.5/5 (25 Votes)
- Jenny's Cheesy Stuffed Sausage... 4.3/5 (20 Votes)
- WW Baked Crab Rangoon 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Pasta with Broccolini and Sausage 4.6/5 (15 Votes)