Baked Ziti with Sausage, Tomatoes, Basil and Cheese
This easy pasta recipe features ziti, turkey sausage, canned tomatoes, and fresh basil. It's the perfect, easy pasta dish for busy weeknights or gatherings and it freezes nicely.
- 1 lb package uncooked ziti pasta
- 1 pound hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 (14.5 oz) cans petite-diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup (4 oz) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (4 oz) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 35mins
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
3. Drain the pasta, and set aside.
4. Remove casings from sausage.
5. Cook sausage, onion, and garlic in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until browned, stirring to crumble.
6. Add the tomato paste, salt, pepper, and tomatoes and bring to a boil.
7. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
8. Combine cooked pasta, sausage mixture, and basil.
9. Place half of the pasta mixture in a 4-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
10. Top with half of mozzarella and half of Parmesan.
11. Repeat layers.
12. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
Amount per serving
Calories from fat: 26%
Saturated fat: 6.1g
Monounsaturated fat: 2.2g
Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
You'll also love
- Plum Butter 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Creamy Pesto Tortellini 4.1/5 (26 Votes)
- Spicy Rice & Corn Casserole 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Sweet & Savory Spinach Salad 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Baked Eggs In Tomato Sauce with... 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Oven Roasted Corn 4.1/5 (31 Votes)
- Pan-Fried Pork Dumplings 4.3/5 (10 Votes)
- Broccoli Pesto Pasta 4.3/5 (10 Votes)