Baked Eggs In Tomato Sauce with Ricotta Cheese
These baked eggs in tomato sauce make a comforting meal any time of the day. These were inspired by a Mario Batali recipe, but they are an Italian classic.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 sprig parsley, left whole, plus 1 sprig, finely chopped
- 6 mint leaves, minced
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 (16-ounce) can San Marzano tomatoes, crushed by hand
- 3 basil leaves, cut into thin strips crosswise
- 8 large eggs
- 4 heaping spoonfuls of ricotta cheese
- 8 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation time 40mins
Cooking time 40mins
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a 10 to 12-inch saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, 1 sprig parsley, mint, and garlic. Cook, stirring, until the onion starts to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and allow it to evaporate completely.
Add the tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and cook until slightly reduced, about 15 minutes. Remove the garlic and parsley and discard.
Add the remaining parsley and the basil to the sauce and stir in. Season the sauce with salt and pepper then divide it among 4 low oven-proof bowls, reserving 1 cup. Crack 2 eggs into each bowl. Dollop a heaping spoonful of ricotta next to the eggs. Then top with a bit more of the reserved sauce and 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Bake until egg whites are just opaque (yolks should still be soft but to taste is fine), 24 to 28 minutes, rotating sheet halfway through.
Give it a good grind of black pepper and a sprinkle of the remaining Parmesan cheese. Serve hot with grilled bread or pasta.
You'll also love
- Blueberry Flax Buttermilk Pancakes 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Cream of Green Bean Soup 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Bacon Wrapped Oven Roasted Corn 4/5 (40 Votes)
- Chicken in a Creamy Parmesan and... 4.3/5 (6 Votes)
- baked eggs with salsa – perfect... 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Ricotta Cheese Cookies 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Skillet Baked Eggs with Spinach,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Ricotta Cheese Pie 0/5 (0 Votes)