Smothered Pork Chops and Sausage
1 hrs 25 mins
1 hrs 15 mins
Read more: http://southern.food.com/recipe/smothered-pork-chops-and-sausage-113472#ixzz1XXZkGVes
- For seasoning mix:
- 8 thinly cut pork chops (about 3 pounds cut about 1/2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- For sauce:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups thinly sliced onions (or more! they cook down so you hardly notice them in the sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 1/3 cups water (1 1/2 cans if you measure in chicken broth can)
- 1 lb smoked sausage (I used kielbasa) or 1 lb andouille sausage, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch slices (I used kielbasa)
- 1 lb russet potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
1.Mix ingredients for seasoning mix together in a small bowl and sprinkle generously on both sides of pork chops.
2.(Save the extra seasoning mix to add to the sauce later if you think it needs more seasoning--I tossed it out, and then wished I had a little bit more to make it a little spicier).
3.Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium-high heat.
4.Add the pork chops, a few at a time and cook them until they are lightly browned on both sides (about 2 minutes per side).
5.Remove the pork chops to a platter and set aside.
6.Reduce the heat to medium.
7.Add the flour and stir constantly until the roux is the color of peanut butter, about 4 minutes.
8.Add the onions, salt, and pepper.
9.Cook, stirring, until the onions are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
10.Add the garlic, bay leaves, chicken broth and water.
11.Bring to a boil.
12.Return the pork chops to the pot.
13.Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
14.Add the smoked sausage and the potatoes.
15.Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
16.Serve with either steamed white rice or rice pilaf.