Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumb Pie
- Crust and Topping:
- 1 recipe Traditional Pastry Pie crust dough for 9-inch single-crust pie
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (to glaze crimped pie edges)
- Cinnamon Sugar Crumb Topping
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- Pinch of salt
- 3 cups hulled and quartered (lengthwise) strawberries (approximately 1 pound strawberries) 3 cups trimmed 1/2-inch-thick slices rhubarb (approximately 4 large rhubarb stalks)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, cold and cut into small pieces
Preheat oven to 375°. To prepare pie shell, on clean, lightly floured work surface, roll out half a ball of dough with rolling pin until it forms 10-inch circle. Wrap remaining half of dough tightly in plastic wrap and reserve it in refrigerator for future use for up to 5 days. Fold circle in half, place it in 9-inch pie plate so that edges of circle drop over trim, and unfold dough to completely cover pie plate. Brush edges of pie shell with heavy cream to create perfect, golden brown finish. Set pie shell to side while you make filling.
To prepare filling, in small bowl, mix together sugar, cornstarch, tapioca, and salt. Place strawberries and rhubarb in large bowl, and sprinkle with sugar mixture, making sure all of fruit is thoroughly coated. Immediately transfer strawberry-rhubarb filling to pie shell (if left sitting too long, these fruits will create lot of juice, resulting in soggy pie) and dot filling with butter.
Sprinkle cinnamon sugar crumb topping over strawberry-rhubarb filling, covering it completely. To bake, place pie plate on baking sheet and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until crust is golden brown and filling is thick and bubbling. Transfer pie plate to wire cooling rack and allow pie to cool and set for 1½ hours before serving.
Strawberry-Rhubarb Crumb Pie is best served at room temperature or warmed to 350° for about 10 minutes. It will keep at room temperature overnight and can best stored in refrigerator for up to 4 days.
You'll also love
- Hot German Potato Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Shrimp Linguine 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Feta and Sun-Dried Tomato Dip 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Double Chocolate Orange Brownies 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Reboot - Fiber Solution -... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Berry Breakfast Wedges 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Taco Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Strawberry Brownie Torte 0/5 (0 Votes)