Japanese Chicken Curry
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs with skin on, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large yellow onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 4 teaspoons curry powder (I use S&B)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 carrots, cut into chunks
- 2 large potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold), cut into chunks
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apricot jam
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon honey, if needed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Hot steamed Japanese rice, for serving
Adapted from lafujimama.com
Toss the chicken in the 1/4 cup of cornstarch. Heat the vegetable oil in a 12-inch saute pan. over high heat. Place the chicken skin side down in the pan, spread out in an even layer, and sear for 1 1/2 minutes. Flip the pieces over, skin side up, and let them brown for an additional minute.
Shake the pan, pushing the chicken to one side, and add the onion. Lower the heat to medium high and saute for about 3 minutes, or until the onions are aromatic and wilted. Add the garlic and ginger, then sprinkle the curry powder and kosher salt over the contents of the pan, then stir to distribute evenly.
Add 1/2 cup of the vegetable stock, stirring up any crusty bits that may be clinging to the bottom or sides of the pan. Then add the tomato paste, apricot jam, and rice wine vinegar then stir to combine.
Add the carrots, the rest of the vegetable stock, and the water, then bring to a boil. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat to medium and add the potatoes. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender. Taste, and if necessary, adjust the sweetness of the curry by adding the honey a few drops at a time.
Put the 1 tablespoon of cornstarch in a small bowl then ladle some of the hot curry over it, and whisk to make a thick paste. Whisk the paste into the pan, and continue cooking the curry until it thickens. Remove from the heat and serve over hot steamed Japanese rice.
You'll also love
- Chicken Christopher - Morton's... 3.9/5 (172 Votes)
- Cinnamon Oatmeal Scones 3.9/5 (88 Votes)
- Chicken Lemon Rice Soup 4.5/5 (33 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Apricot Chicken 4.4/5 (34 Votes)
- Easy Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken 4.5/5 (32 Votes)
- Glazed Lemon Chicken 4.6/5 (23 Votes)
- Slow-Cooker Coconut Curry Chicken 4.6/5 (18 Votes)
- Japanese Chicken Stir Fry 4.4/5 (10 Votes)