Loaded Bacon and Cheddar Baked Potato Soup
- 8 large baked potatoes
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup (8 Tablespoons) butter, cut into 8 pieces
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups whole milk (can also substitute cream or half-and-half for up to two cups of the milk for an even richer soup)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, plus extra for topping
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 Tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 pound container sour cream
Adapted from girlcooksworld.com
Dice four of the baked potatoes into small, bite size pieces, skins and all. For the remaining four potatoes, scoop out the flesh and mash until smooth. Discard skins of these potatoes.
In a large soup or stock pot, fry the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool slightly. Crumble into small pieces when cool enough to handle.
Add the chopped onion and garlic to the rendered bacon grease. Cook over medium heat until softened. Add the butter and stir until melted. Add the chicken broth, milk, diced potatoes and mashed potatoes and stir to combine. Heat soup thoroughly, but do not boil. Add the cheese and stir to melt. Add salt and pepper to taste as well as they cayenne.
Place the cornstarch in a small bowl and combine with equal amount of water to create a slurry. Add to the soup and cook, stirring constantly, until thick.
Ladle soup into individual bowls and top with a dollop of sour cream, the reserved crumbled bacon, extra cheese (if desired) and green onions.
You'll also love
- Corn Pudding 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Pappardelle with Mushrooms 4.5/5 (42 Votes)
- Grilled Cajun Corn 4.8/5 (22 Votes)
- Lentil and chorizo stew 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Classic Beef Pot Roast 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Pulled Pork Sliders 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Sous Vide Thai Glazed Pork Ribs… 4.9/5 (11 Votes)
- Cheesy scalloped potatoes 4.4/5 (50 Votes)