Sweet Potato Hash
Healthy, savory and a different twist on breakfast, sweet potato hash is a great side or even a full meal.
- 2 sweet potatoes, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- Kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Pinch garlic powder, optional
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or to taste
- You can substitute balsamic vinegar instead of Worcestershire sauce
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
You will need an oven-proof skillet with a tight fitting lid to steam the potatoes.
Preheat the oven to 375˚F.
Begin by chopping the onion and caramelizing with enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan-- not too much! TIP: I use olive oil for this method, and I reserve extra-virgin olive oil when I am not working with high heat...like for salads. On medium heat, caramelize the onion (about 20 minutes).
In the meantime, coat the oven-proof skillet with a thin layer of olive oil. Saute the potatoes on medium-high heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Season with kosher salt & black pepper, to taste. Add about 2 tablespoons of water and cover the potatoes with a lid.
Allow to steam for 3 to 5 minutes, removing the lid for the last minute to let all the water evaporate.
Once the onions are caramelized, add either 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce or balsamic vinegar.
Add the onion to the potatoes and one pat of butter. Mix thoroughly, to coat the potatoes with melted butter.
If desired, add an extra dash of either balsamic or Worcestershire, to suit your taste.
Roast in the oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, depending on how crisp you like it. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
Serve with a fried egg on top.
NOTE: You can easily substitute any kind of potato to make this. Yukon Golds are my favorite.
You'll also love
- Sesame Noodles with Chicken &... 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Apple Dog Treat Recipe 4.2/5 (57 Votes)
- award Winning New England Clam... 4.4/5 (26 Votes)
- How to Make Beer Cheese Sauce 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Steak Gorgonzola with Spinach... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Crescent Carrot Appetizers 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Pineapple Coconut Ice Cream -... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Pumpkin Bars with Maple Browned... 4.6/5 (17 Votes)