Hurricane Jello Shots
Based on the beach bar cocktail that is best known as a New Orleans classic, Hurricane Jello Shots bring the flavors of the Big Easy to your next celebratory party or social gathering. This recipe ensures that a crowd of all of your favorite friends and family will have a good time while noshing on whatever yummy appetizers you are serving.
- 3 Oranges, halved
- 1/2 cup white rum
- 1/2 cup dark rum
- 1/2 cup passion fruit juice
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (1 part sugar to 1 part water, boiled until the sugar dissolves)
- 2 tablespoons grenadine
- 2 envelopes gelatin, preferably Knox Original
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 145mins
Adapted from tastingtable.com
Run a paring knife around the inside edge of each orange peel to release the flesh from the skin. Using your hands, carefully remove the flesh from the oranges to make six hollowed-out shells. Squeeze enough of the flesh to make ¼ cup of juice.
Combine the white and dark rums in a small saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the orange juice, passion fruit juice, lime juice, simple syrup and grenadine. Sprinkle the gelatin over the juice mixture and let sit for 1 minute. Pour the hot rum over the juices and whisk until the gelatin completely dissolves, about 5 minutes.
Divide the hot juice mixture among the orange shells and chill in the refrigerator until the gelatin sets, about 2 hours.
When ready to serve, remove the oranges from the refrigerator and cut each half into four wedges using a sharp knife. Serve immediately.
You'll also love
- Harissa Beef Brisket 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Memphis Style Smoked Turkey 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Chipotle Black Bean Stuffed... 4.6/5 (10 Votes)
- Fried Mac & Cheese Balls 4.5/5 (19 Votes)
- Roasted Garlic & Onion Dip 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Baked Red Velvet Donuts 4.4/5 (23 Votes)
- Safe Homemade Eggnog 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Layered Brownie With Cream Cheese... 4.4/5 (25 Votes)