This recipe for Sicilian bruschetta is sure to get your guests' appetites going with crispy bread adorned with a delicious eggplant mixture. This appetizer is the perfect start to any gathering and pairs well with a cheese or a crudité platter.
- 1 (1-pound) loaf crusty Italian bread such as ciabatta, cut into 1/3-inch thick slices
- 6 About 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice, about 4 cups
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup green olives, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 21mins
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lay bread on a baking sheet and drizzle with about 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Bake until toasted and light golden brown, about 5 minutes, then set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium high heat. Cook eggplant stirring often, until softened and starting to brown, for about 8 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
In the same pan, cook garlic in remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, stirring, until fragrant for about 1 minute. Add celery, bell pepper, and olives, stirring to combine, and cook until softened, 5 to 8 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup water, red wine vinegar, tomato paste, raisins, and pine nuts, and cook until heated through. Stir in reserved eggplant, salt, and sugar, then mix in the fresh basil, oregano, and flat leaf parsley.
Serve caponata mixture with ricotta on the toasted bread.
You'll also love
- Ann Curry's Homemade Cranberry... 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Cherry Cola Brownies 3.5/5 (4 Votes)
- Escarole Soup 5/5 (1 Votes)
- Mushroom, Asparagus, Gruyere & Egg... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Garlicky Black-Pepper Shrimp &... 3.7/5 (3 Votes)
- Sauteed Pork Tenderloin Medallions... 4/5 (2 Votes)
- Penne with Prosciutto, Walnuts &... 4/5 (3 Votes)
- Garlic and Dried Tomato Bread -... 5/5 (1 Votes)