Southern Fried Chicken
Finger licking good Southern fried chicken recipe adapted from Paula Deen. Make sure to bring the oil back to 350°F between batches so all the chicken is perfectly fried. Enjoy!
- HOUSE SEASONING:
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 cup hot sauce, such as Frank's Red Hot or Texas Pete
- Tabasco, to taste
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (2 to 2 1/2 pound) chicken, cut in pieces
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1 cup salt
- 1/4 cup pepper
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- Mix all together in an airtight container and will keep for 6 months.
In a medium sized bowl, beat the eggs with the water. Add about 1 cup of Hot sauce till the egg mixture is bright orange. Add some tabasco to taste if you'd like. I did. Mix well.
Season your washed and dried chicken pieces with the House Seasoning. Marinate the pieces of chicken in the egg mixture, covered, in the refrigerator for 6-12 hours.
Combine the flour and pepper. Dip pieces of chicken one at a time into the flour mixture. I found it is better to flour the chicken immediately before being plunged into the oil.
Heat oil to 350°F in a deep pot. Don't fill more than half way.
Fry chicken in oil till brown and crisp. Dark meat takes longer than white meat. Dark pieces should take 13-14 minutes and white meat 8-10 minutes.
Make sure to bring the oil back to 350°F between batches.
Done. This is very good leftover also!
You'll also love
- Salami Mozzarella Calzone 4.5/5 (84 Votes)
- Unstuffed Cabbage Rolls 4.5/5 (93 Votes)
- Chicken & White Bean Chili 4.4/5 (88 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Parmesan Chicken... 4.4/5 (97 Votes)
- Buffalo Chicken Cups 4.4/5 (96 Votes)
- Zucchini Parmesan Crisps 4.4/5 (79 Votes)
- Weight Watcher's Southern-Style... 4.2/5 (101 Votes)
- Chicken Fried Steak - Pioneer Woman 4.2/5 (109 Votes)