Weight Watcher's Southern-Style Chicken & Dumplings
This comforting classic stew will bring the alluring aromas of chicken stew and steaming dumplings to your kitchen in no time at all. It's a terrific recipe for using up leftover roast chicken.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 3 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups chicken breast, skinless, cooked and chopped
- 1/4 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup water
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from abcnews.go.com
Heat a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Swirl in the oil, then add the celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are softened, 5 to 6 minutes.
Add the broth and chicken. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Add the green beans and simmer until the vegetables are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in the parsley.
Meanwhile, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl. Stir the water into the flour mixture just until moistened. Drop the dough, by rounded teaspoonfuls, onto the simmering stew, making 12 dumplings. Cover and simmer until the dumplings have doubled in size and are cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
You'll also love
- Panera Bread French Onion Soup 3.8/5 (189 Votes)
- Breakfast Delight 4.6/5 (67 Votes)
- Sweet Hawaiian Crockpot Chicken 4.4/5 (80 Votes)
- Chicken Enchilada Soup - Chili's... 4.2/5 (122 Votes)
- Easy Crock Pot Chicken & Dumplings 4.4/5 (60 Votes)
- Chicken & Dumpling Casserole 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Chicken & Dumplings 4.4/5 (58 Votes)
- Weight Watchers Chicken Fried Rice 4.6/5 (49 Votes)