Fresh Blackberry Cobbler
Fresh blackberries are rolled up in a buttery homemade pastry, cut into slices, and baked. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipping cream.
- 1 1/2 sticks butter, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for sprinkling on top
- 3 cups fresh blackberries
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising flour
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 55mins
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place 3 tablespoons butter in a 9 by 11-inch baking pan and heat in the oven just until the butter melts. Set aside.
Meanwhile, in a small saucepan on medium-high setting heat the water and 1 cup sugar until the sugar dissolves. Set aside.
Cut the remaining 9 tablespoons butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add the milk and stir just until the dough forms a ball.
On a floured surface, knead the dough a few times then roll it out into a rectangle, about 1/4-inch thick.
Spread the blackberries on top of the dough, leaving a 1/2 inch margin around the edges for sealing.
From a long side, roll it up jelly-roll style placing the seam side down, and pinching the ends closed so the berries don't fall out. (At this point, you may need to gently re-shape the roll so that it is at least 12 inches long).
Cut the roll into 12 (1-inch) slices and place a cut side up in the baking pan, on top of the melted butter. Pour the sugar water all around the rolls It will be absorbed during baking.
Bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar, then bake for an additional 15 minutes.
You'll also love
- Breakfast Italian Sausage Cheese... 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Apple Cake with Vanilla Sauce 4.2/5 (57 Votes)
- Lightened up Pumpkin Roll 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Canned - Peaches 4.7/5 (18 Votes)
- Baked Acorn Squash Fries 4/5 (70 Votes)
- Easter Crack White Chocolate Toffee 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Grain Free Blueberry Lemon Muffins 4.8/5 (9 Votes)
- Divinity 4.7/5 (15 Votes)