Potato Fennel Onion Tart
This potato fennel onion tart is a perfect side dish that looks impressive. It is perfect when entertaining, you can make it ahead and pop in the oven about an hour before serving dinner.
Fennel is crunchy and slightly sweet, adding a refreshing contribution to the ever popular Mediterranean cuisine. Most often associated with Italian cooking, be sure to add this to your selection of fresh vegetables from the autumn through early spring when it is readily available and at its best.
- 2 washed medium size potatoes sliced thinly on a mandolin
- 1 fennel bulb sliced thinly on a mandolin
- 3 tablespoons butter crumbled into pieces
- 6 slices deli pepper jack cheese
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (divided)
- 1 large whole sweet onion sliced thinly (with knife)
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary + sprigs for garnish, chopped
- 4 provolone cheese deli slices
- Cooking spray
- Sour cream, optional
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 80mins
Adapted from allyskitchen.com
Preheat oven to 375°F.
Coat your tart pan with cooking spray. Lay half of the potatoes on the bottom. Next layer is fennel and about half the salt. Add the Pepper jack cheese on top.
Add another layer of potatoes and crumble on the butter. Add the slices of onions, rest of salt and rosemary. Coat top with cooking spray. Cover tightly with a large lid or foil.
Bake in a preheated 375°F oven for about 30 minutes. Remove lid and put on the provolone cheese. Recover and let the cheese melt. Turn on the broiler to get cheese slightly golden brown. Remove and let the tart rest about 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
Garnish with rosemary and serve slices with a dollop of sour cream (optional).
You'll also love
- Porcini Mushroom Rub 3.6/5 (8 Votes)
- Chili-Rubbed Halibut With... 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Basic Thanksgiving Dressing 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Risotto with Fennel & Vodka 4.1/5 (9 Votes)
- Southern Style Turnip Greens 4.2/5 (6 Votes)
- Sauteed Cipolline Onions (Mario... 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Sundried Tomatoes Focaccia with... 3.9/5 (24 Votes)
- Sweet potato jalapeno soup 3.7/5 (21 Votes)
Review this recipe